I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

• Line Review: Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon


The first thing one can say about Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon is this line aint cheap. At close to $30 for 120yd of 10-16lb test, a lot of anglers might consider this line waaay out of their budget. I must admit my purchase was somewhat of a mistake, but I was hooked on the idea of fluorocarbon after so much has been written about it. The thing to remember with fluorocarbon is to wet your knots so they are tight and secure. FC is supposed to be a low stretch line, but a Tackle Tour fluorocarbon test showed that even though many claim fluorocarbon has low stretch, that's really not the case. I had all of this information in mind even before spooling up with Gamma Edge.

My first impression can be summed up in one word. Wow! I put it on my reel and tied on a senko. I could feel everything. Every little bump was transmitted up the line. Every nibble was felt. Here's the hard part for me to mention as it creates a serious dilemma involving whether or not I should rely on this line. Within the first three or four casts, I had a break off in the middle somewhere that sent 10 or 15 feet of line flying free. I hadn't experienced a backlash yet, so it wasn't from a kink. Maybe there was a defect. I haven't had it happen again from subsequent line from that same spool. Getting a good knot does take a little work. I still need to figure out how exactly to "wet" the knot in order for it to tie nice and snug. The knots are holding for me though, so I must be doing something right. Castability and performance are comparable to the Gamma Copolymer and it doesn't have a lot of problems with memory. The bottom line is sensitivity makes up for any doubts I had and I love this stuff. I just want it to last as long as I can make it go before buying another spool.

(EDIT)
I don't love this stuff anymore. I would have hoped the line could have lasted me a little longer. I had one more break off during a cast. Maybe I got a bad spool. Who knows. I won't be buying any more of this line though. A break off fighting a fish is something I'd accept, but not one during a cast. Time to try something else. Many fluorocarbon lines seem to have this problem, so finding one that won't snap at even the slightest kink is going to be tough.

(EDIT 4/10/08)
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewgammaedgefc.html
TackleTour has posted a review of Gamma Edge FC. The reviewer thought this line had more stretch than other FC and was not as sensitive. The line did not go back to the original length after constant stretch. The rated test strength is closer to knot breaking strength than tensile strength. Sounds like he's not completely sold on this line just yet, however the findings are somewhat different than what I experienced. I thought the line was pretty sensitive. If the reviewer says Sugoi, Sunline Shooter, and Toray are more sensitive, I might have to give one of 'em a go. I'm not brave enough to drop another $30 on another spool to continue reviewing this line.

Related Posts:
Review: Gamma Copolymer
P-Line Halo
Vicious Fishing Fluorocarbon
Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon: 1st Impressions
Trilene 100% FC Day 2

Related Links:
Polyvinylidene Fluoride Wiki

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like this stuff you should try Sunline's Super FC Sniper. Way better than the Gamma stuff, but still just as expensive. That is it's only downfall...