I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

• My Favorite Buzzbait

Which one do you think it will be? People go crazy over the Cavitron buzzbaits. Will my choice have a clacker? Holes in the blades? Two blades? A red hook? No. Not quite.

Very few stores actually sell this buzzbait. In fact, Walmart is probably better at stocking this one than any other store in the area. We have a BPS, Academy, and a lot of little bait and tackle shops.

Drum roll please....

It's only the Strike King 1/8oz Tri-Wing Mini Buzz Wing. At 1/8oz, one might think throwing this lure with my Pflueger and MH rod would be a little difficult. I take a 4" blue Renegade worm, slice about an inch off the top, and thread it on the hook. That adds some weight, but not much. I can cast them just as far as a rattle trap. Small, but effective, just like it says on the box. I don't have as much luck with the larger variety buzzbaits. My favorite color is chartreuse, but the blue/black comes in at a close second. I have them in blue/chartreuse and white too. They are becoming easier to find lately, so whenever I am running low, I stock up. It's been difficult to find anything but chartreuse over the last couple of years and now I can even find the white ones.

Let's look at the lure for a moment. It's your basic buzzbait design with the blade on one side and a leadhead with a skirt on the adjacent side. The blade is a three-blade prop with curved edges. This design adds a lot more squeak and allows the bait to be fished slower. The blade design also allows the lure to rise quickly. The leadhead is painted to match the skirt color, but also features two eyes and flecks of glitter. The wire connecting the two is short and does not bend easily.

Do I trim the skirt? Sometimes. Trailer hook? Never. Never? Nope. Some of you are shaking your heads now. I only had trouble nabbing a hookset in the beginning when I was learning to use it. Yes, the buzzbait flew at light speed back at my body. I don't have trouble getting a hookset now. I think the lure's small frame is a much easier target for bass to hit. Another reason why I don't use a trailer hook is because gar love to snap at this lure. If I put on a trailer hook, they are more likely to get caught. I don't want that unless I'm actually trying to catch a gar, which I do attempt on occasion. As I said a moment ago, the only modification I make is adding a curl tailed worm trailer.

How do I retrieve it?
I don't have much luck when I burn it. Slow and steady works more often than not. Sometimes an erratic slow fast slow fast giving it an almost pop-r-esque splash draws a strike.

Any problems or complaints?
A swivel might prevent any line twist, but can slip down towards the bend on the propeller side, preventing the blades from buzzing. I hate that about this lure, but when it is working properly, it does produce for me. It can get pretty bent out of shape if I lay into something strong, but I can straighten it out pretty easy without using any pliers. When I started using them, a lot of bass would throw the hook. I've learned a technique that keeps the bass from breaching the surface of the water so much. Deny them the opportunity to splash and you deny them the opportunity to throw a hook.

Update: Although I prefer a high speed 7:1 reel on a MH rod for my buzzbaits, a 6.3:1 baitcaster on a 7' ML rod is a dynamic alternative for topwater lures.


Related Posts:
Strike King Bleeding Bait Elite
Buzzbait Techniques
Trailer Hooks
Bank Buzzbaits

0 comments: