I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

• The Outdoor Channel and Fishing

If you ever watch the Outdoor Channel, you'll know that fishing shows are few and far between. Monday is the big fishing day and then you have to have eyes like a hawk to spot another fishing show on any other day of the week. I believe there is something on Sunday morning, but I'm usually fast asleep. The rest of the week is all hunting except on Fridays where various forms of racing are on.

Let's talk about those fishing shows for a moment. Several fishermen don't watch them anymore because those things start sounding like one big infomercial. Very little teaching of technique is offered. However, this is not to say that the shows aren't worth watching. If you prefer a little bit of competition, Ultimate Match Fishing is a pretty decent little show and usually it's funny too. The In Fisherman TV is so/so. I get the magazine subscription, so what is in the show is supplemented by the magazine. I get more out of it. You just get to see what they were writing about in action. The hosts on that show do sprinkle tips here and there. Hank Parker does an okay job, but I don't get a lot from it. It's neat to watch him fish, but how many of us regular fishermen go down to Mexico? I'm sure El Salto was fun, but it's not helping me any. I don't see much of Bill Dance anymore, although many of his shows were more or less an infomercial in my eyes. I've heard Jimmy Houston is a great guy to meet in person and his shows are so/so, but I wouldn't say I learn a lot.

Now there is that show I mentioned that someone told me is now on Sunday mornings. The Bass Pro's do a show and do teach a fair amount. From the couple of shows I've seen, I was impressed. There are also a few smaller shows that come on infrequently like the young girl with BPS who did a show on shakey heads. I was not entertained in the least bit, nor did I learn anything new.

I'm not sure how the salt water anglers feel. There's one old guy that's on who seems like an ill tempered old coot with a pronounced my way or the highway attitude.

If you catch any of the hunting, someone like me finds some of the stuff less than sportsman-like to say the least. Shooting off a timed feeder isn't hunting. An African safari is like Hank Parker in El Salto. No thanks. Hollering like a baffoon after shooting your kill as if you were attempting your best Howard Dean impression is ridiculous. What's worse is that in talking with hunters, they inform me that regular hunters don't behave that way. I beg to differ. Sit in a bar or a barber shop during deer season. Idiots with guns would be my best description.

I haven't seen fishing on VS in ages.

2 comments:

ARUJTUDAD said...

That fishing show with Roland Martin is one big commercial! I set my DVR to search for bass and/or fishing and then programmed a timer for the good ones. We have a local show here in Sacramento on Fox Sports Bay Area called Fun Fishing, it shows gear and techniques and is entertaining and informative.

Angie T said...

What about ESPN outdoor shows? I would love to hear your thoughts on them....

I like the Bass Pros show too. They really did some different things this year with thier production approach.