I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

• Renegade Twirl Tail Worms

The Renegade Worm is one of my favorite little worms to catch bass with, although I have not been using it as much lately. When I think about the simple plastic worm, this is the image that pops into my head. They come in a few different colors and sizes. I use the 6" black/pink twirl tail worms and the 4" electric blue twirl tail worms. I usually don't see other colors, but I believe they also make them in motor oil, tequila sunrise, and green pumpkin. They also make 6" worms in electric blue. There are even plastic boxes full of these worms in different colors if you're lucky enough to find them. There are two blurbs on the back of the package explaining Texas rigging and Carolina rigging.

The Renegade worm serves several purposes in my arsenal. When fishing this worm, I Texas rig it with a small split shot a few inches up the line and retrieve it with small short bounces. Hook size depends on personal preference, but I stick with 1/0 to 3/0. The strike tends to come during the initial drop or as soon as I start bringing it in. I also use these worms as trailers for my buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. I trim them about three inches above the tail. I think the Renegade worms could do some damage on a small shakey head jig.

These worms are small, relatively speaking, so adding anything to help them sink might be a good idea. That's why I tend to rig them with a split shot, but a bullet weight suits these worms well too. Rigged weightless, run one across or just under the surface of the water or even over the thick stuff, letting it fall into any gaps along the way.

These worms hold up fairly well. Keep these handy when you think you need to downsize from something larger if the bass are being picky eaters.

Pictured below are the 6" black/pink, the 4" motor oil, and 4" electric blue twirl tail worms.



Edit
Since this is such a hot topic, I started a thread dedicated to discussing these worms, why they are disappearing, where you might be able to find them, and what alternatives exist.
http://bassdem.lefora.com/2008/10/28/renegade-worms-mia/page1/

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

these worms are my favorite too, i got the 6" green pumpkin, and 4" motor oil worms. The fish absolutely inhale em.

Anonymous said...

i love the tequila sunrise 6in. but they dont seem to be as good now that manns sold them to luck e strike

Anonymous said...

I enjoy these worms too. I bought a pack of the black/pink tailed 6 inchers at walmart to appease my toddler son. He loves playing with fishin' worms. I didn't think that they would be any good for under 2 bucks a pack. To my surpise, rigged on a 2/0 owner EQG worm hook with a keeper, they do catch bass. I fish them weightless in shallow waters. These worms are tough and take a beating. While I still like my more expensive zoom's an yammamotos, these are good in a pinch when you need to downsize a bit.

Anonymous said...

We live on one of the finger lakes in new york. we are retired and fish many hours. we catch many large mouth bass and walleye.So far this yea our largest bass was 21 3/4 inchesand the larget walleye was 25 3/4 inches. we release all the bas and have many fine meals with the keeper walleyes. our bait of choice is the 4" motor oil renegade worm on an 1/8 ounce jig. we cast this to the edge of the weedbeds and retrieve slowly. last year my wife and i boated 2600 bass and 115 walleye. we feel that we live in a little corner of heaven

Anonymous said...

I have been using the 4" twirltail rigged on a 1/4 or 1/8 oz. lead head jig for years.

This combo has consistently outfished live leeches on Lake of The Woods, Ontario both spring and fall. I usually clip the front 1" before rigging.

Tequila Sunrise and Motor Oil seem to be the best.

Mikaela said...

wow. Where did you find these worms? underground?

Anonymous said...

I also am a Bass fisherman. I fish the tanks in the pastures. I have 8 tanks in 2 different counties that I take care of for various land owners here in Texas and the very best worm I have ever used is the Renegade 6" twirltail electric blue, with a 3/8 oz bullet hand painted black with yellow eyes w/a tiny black speck in the center of the yellow that my dad and I have been building for 20+ years. Where can I find them again? Help Please...

BassFishingDem said...

Re: Where to find these worms

Walmart is where I get mine. The electric blue and black/pink tail colors are by far the easiest to find. It is much more difficult to find the motor oil, tequila sunrise, and green pumpkin colors. Some stores only carry the 6" electric blue and not the 4-inch version and in other stores, you'll discover the exact opposite.

I have not been out to buy any recently. Has Walmart taken these beauties off their shelves in many areas?

Lane from Texas said...

RE:BassFishingDem

Yes Walmart no longer carrys the Electric blue
at my location. The Renegade package say they are manufactured by Luck "E" Strike U.S.A. in Casssvile MO but have had any luck there either. Thank for your RE.

Lane from Texas

BassFishingDem said...

I just checked the fishing section at a Walmart in town. They still had Renegade worms on the rack in a few colors. There was one pack left in electric blue. Motor oil, tequila sunrise, and purple were there as well. I did not see any of the black/pink tail.

Lane from Texas said...

Well guy's, the heck with the "Renegade" worms as far as "Tankbass" goes. I found the "Berkley Power Bait" Electric Grape will get the job done. It's a 7" worm with a more sprial tail, but I murdered them in Murray Tx this last weekend with it. Same "Texas" rig and 3/8 oz hand painted weight. "Forty" bass, yes 40 all caught and released, average size 16". One went 4.5 lbs. This is what I live for!

Lane from Texas

Anonymous said...

both renegades and power baits work real good. i dont know what it is but the renegade worms smell like fruit. maybe bass like it or sumthin. the power bait smells bad but works amazing.