I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

• BPS Pro Qualifier Limited Edition

(follow up from earlier bait monkey post)
Okay, so I'll tell you about the rod/reel combo that caught my eye. Over the holiday, BPS is having a sale. The Pro Qualifier Limited Edition (PQL10P) is a 10 bearing 6.3:1 baitcaster on an IM8 graphite rod (PQL1070). Everything else I know about this combo was relayed to me over the phone. I think the rods are available in 6', 6'6"MH, and 7'MH. I'm sure there are some medium action rods in the mix somewhere. I doubt there is a lefty version.

The regular Pro Qualifier is a 6 or 7 bearing reel in 6.3:1 and 5.2:1 that weighs 8.7oz. I'm guessing the Limited Edition weighs about the same. The Limited Edition comes in an almost electric blue color instead of the regular gray. It changes to purple at different angles. I'm also assuming that it takes up 28" of line per crank and the drag has an audible click.

You get that combo for $69.88. The regular Pro Qualifier is on sale online at $79.99. When you consider that, the Limited Edition sounds like a good deal to me. Since this is a limited edition, it's likely that the combo will only be offered this one time and it will never be seen again. You probably also won't find it at many other BPS stores. They didn't have it here in Detroit. The Bossier City BPS is where mine is coming from.

I chose to pair it with the 7' MH rod. I already have a spare 6'6" medium rod from Gander Mountain and I don't have any 7' rods. I've been meaning to give a 7 footer a try, so here's my chance. I'll see if I can get the extra casting distance out of it. I will also assume that the IM8 rod included in this combo is comparable to the BPS IM8 Bionic Blades rod and unlikely to be the Pro Qualifier rod. It has 7 Fuji aluminum oxide guides.

I'll post more when I actually get my hands on it.

(edit)
I've noticed a few hits from visitors on this combo.
Have any comments to share about yours?

The design is likely based on the Pflueger Supreme LP baitcaster, although the assembly comes apart differently (see link below where I take it apart).

Some questions in light of the regular Pro Qualifier stats:
Drag...10 lbs? Need to confirm this...
Line capacity? 12/120? An ebay ad says 12/150
Reel weight? 8.7oz? The ebay ad said 8.4oz
Lefty version? Don't think so
Is it a real Pro Qualifier or just spare parts?
It's on an IM8 Pro Qualifier LTD rod available in M and MH, 6', 6'6, and 7' with a fast tip. Was there a 6'9 or 7'6 too?

EDIT 12-1-2007
I had a chance today to mess around with this new combo. It reminded me a lot of my Pflueger Summit. My first impression was that the rod was too heavy, but I've been away from my gear for a month, so I had to readjust a little to the weight. I tied on a 1/2oz spinnerbait and chucked it out there off the pier. After some tinkering, I was able to toss it a few feet more than my Pflueger likely as a result of having a 7' rod compared to a 6'6. I barely turned the centrifugal brakes and adjusted the magnetic brakes to around 5 to 6. Backlashes started happening between 6 and 7 with 12lb Gamma Copolymer. I also added a few drops of Hot Sauce to some spots according to the BPS oiling instructions that came with my Prolite. Trust me. The oil helps. The reel felt pretty smooth just like the other BPS reel I own. So far I'm very satisfied. Tried pitching briefly and it took a few minutes adjusting to a 7' rod. I did wrap sections of the cork on the rod with a little bit of electrical tape. My finger tips of my 4th and 5th digits rub against the cork and get sore after only a little use. I don't like the foregrip at all. I have the same trouble on the finesse rod. The new Pro Qualifier HM-70 rods don't have the same foregrip. That's a move in the right direction BPS.

I'll keep adding more as time goes by, so be sure to visit again soon!

Any questions?

(EDIT 1/23/08)
On a recent trip to Bass Pro (1/21/08) in Bossier City, I noticed they had seven or eight of these on one of their circular rod displays. The last time I saw any was when I came back in December and even then there was only one left. I wonder where they found these.

Please go here and read that post as I no longer support nor shop at Bass Pro Shops.


Related Posts:
Open Up A PQL10P Baitcaster

0 comments: