I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Friday, December 21, 2007

• Cross Lake Report 12/21/2007

Cross Lake. Shreveport, Louisiana

The weather was nice again today, so I decided to fish a little. We had some rain a couple nights ago, so the water was still stained today. Water temps were still in the mid to upper 50s, except for the bayou into Fleming where my onboard unit read a cool 53 degrees. Not many crappie biting back that way for anyone. Most spots I hit hovered around 55 degrees though.

I decided to cover some old territory today closer to home. I started out around 11am near a cluster of cypress trees and worked my way around into an old lily pad field. You guessed it. I fished dead stems again. I started halfway down the bank on the east side of the pocket and drifted with the wind. I had two Terminator T1 spinnerbaits tied onto my Pro Qualifier and Pflueger Summit. The Callistos sported some rattle traps. The Prolite had a Strike King Mini King tied on. No plastics for me today.

I had good luck on previous trips just drifting with the wind, so I went with that approach again. First fish came on a firetiger T1 spinnerbait that weighed 3lb 1oz and measured around 17.5" long. The second much smaller fish came a few casts later closer to the bank. Looked like good action today, so I pulled the trolling motor up and used the main motor to backtrack into the wind to drift through the dead stems again. I didn't have any takers that whole stretch. I got back to where I caught the first two and picked up two more. Both came on a chartreuse T1 spinnerbait this time. I had that one tied on the Pflueger. I hadn't caught any fish with the Pflueger in a while and I'd forgotten how much I could manhandle bass with it. I'm starting to feel a little disappointed with the power behind the BPS reels. They can handle fish, but the drag feels a little mushy if that makes any sense. Same company makes them though, right?

Anyway, I anchored at that spot a while longer and saw a few fish hitting the top and even jumping out of the water. I couldn't make out what they were exactly, but they were not largemouth bass. Could have been some white bass. Didn't get any more bites there, so I went to the west side of the pocket and fished some cypress trees near the Bass Life Associates sign. Came up with two bites back to back. Again, they were not very impressive in size, but they put up a good fight. That spinnerbait is doing better than I expected. Didn't have any more bites after that and called it quits a little after 4pm.





So what worked today?
Dead/dying pad stems in 4-5ft of water
Wide holes/paths in cypress near deeper water
BPS Pro Qualifier Limited Edition combo 7' rod, 12lb Gamma Copolymer, 1/2 oz Firetiger Terminator T1 spinnerbait and Pflueger Summit WLP, MH BPS Graphite Series 6'6 rod, 20lb Gamma Copolymer, 1/2oz Chartreuse Terminator T1 spinnerbait

(EDIT)
As an afterthought, I probably could have tried a jig in those pad stems and even over in those trees. The wind was blowing though and I think the drifting would have made things a little more frustrating. It's not always easy to keep the bait still while the wind pushes you along. The spinnerbait bite was working for me, but I could have dropped anchor for a short while and just bounced a jig around. I have learned more about this lake in the last few weeks than I have in the past two years.

0 comments: