I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

• Hot Sauce Reel Oil


I bought some Hot Sauce reel oil after doing a lot of reading online about which oil people were using to keep their baitcasters in tip top shape. Hot Sauce seemed to come up in most of the discussions with very favorable reviews. I can't compare it to other oils as this is the first I've ever used.

It's a low viscosity oil. Standard reel oiling rules still apply. One drop is all you'll need. Wipe off any excess. Hot Sauce permanently binds if you let it sit there long enough. This stuff is red, so you know where you put it and you know how much you put on, but so will anyone that does professional maintenance. The bottle will last a long time. The applicator and flow control plug make it very easy to limit the oil to just one drop to prevent oiling anything too much. I wish their grease came with tools and brush to apply the stuff with.

After the first oiling, the difference was tremendous. Casting distance did not increase dramatically, but handling and smoothness did. Short distance control improved. A brand new reel that was making a little noise ran smooth and quiet after a good once over. Even the Shimano Callistos I have that only have a couple bearings benefitted from a little oil. Every one of my reels is a lot better off after a touch of Hot Sauce oil. I was able to get a Zebco 202 we found under water covered in muck back to almost new condition with oil and grease aside from a slight mechanical catch from some apparent trauma to the crank handle.

I have just one problem with Hot Sauce reel oil. The bottle leaks out onto my fingers even with the flow control plug in. The stuff gets all over the sides, but you can't see it. I have to wipe my hands good every time I use it because I don't want it going from my hands and fingers to any reel parts that don't need any oil.

If you need help with lubricating a reel, check out this BPS Lubrication Guide

Abu Garcia's Baitcaster Troubleshooting Guide
Zebco Spincast Maintenance
Shimano FAQ
Shimano Maintenance Guides

1 comments:

Garry said...

I have used up two bottles of Hot Sauce, so you know that I have been using it for a long-long time...grin.

Recently, after three days if heavy rain, I found there had been a flood in my rod locker and the bearings in a couple of reels were making a noise...

I was away from home, camping on an island, and so had to make do with what I had at hand.

Back at the truck I found a part bottle of automatic transmission fluid behind the seat.

Son-of-a-gun if it isn't the same shade of red as Hot Sauce!

Using the Coleman-stove fuel filter/funnel I put some ATF into an empty Hot Sauce bottle, that was still in the boats tool box, and lubed the dry bearings.

I don't know anything about the properties of Hot Sauce or ATF but reel bearings don't really need anything too fancy. There is little or no heat and very little pressure on them, at least in my mind.

In the past I have used 3-in-one oil on reels in a pinch, but find it too thick for my liking. The ATF is very thin, just like Hot Sauce, in fact in use I couldn't tell the difference.

The important thing is it seems to do the job just as well. A bonus for many of us is that it is almost FREE...Because a part bottle will be found in most guys tool shed or garage...HAHAHA.
Garry2R's