I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Monday, January 14, 2008

• My 3 Knots

I'm going to keep this post relatively simple since you can find instructions for tying most fishing knots online with excellent animated illustrations. Everyone has their favorite. I'll mention the ones I use.

I really have four knots in my repertoire, but for tying line to lures, I use three of those four. I use the palomar knot, the uni knot, and another knot I can't find the name for. The fourth knot, of course, is the arbor knot. I use the arbor knot to tie line to the spool of my reels.

I'll start with the third knot I mentioned because I use it the most. I can describe it two ways. It's a loop knot made by doubling your line and tying an overhand knot with it. It's like a surgeon's loop without the second twist through the loop. Double your line and tie an overhand knot with that doubled line. Tighten it down and then take the free end and tie another overhand knot so the knot won't slip. You can make the loop as big as you need. My loop usually runs about 1.5 cm in length when I tie it. I tie this loop for swivels and snap swivels. I also use it at the end of a drop shot rig for the weight because I can easily swap it out with ease. It works great for finesse jigs or any lure with a similar line tie. This knot is fairly strong and has been my number one knot for years. It only fails when I don't tie an overhand knot to prevent it from slipping or when I snag something really heavy. The loop makes this particular knot ideal for swapping out whatever you're tied to, especially with weights and swivels.

To loop it around a swivel, weight, or hook, run the loop through the eye and bring the loop over the end of what you're tying to. Then pull the loop around the back side and secure it around the eye.
I tend to use the palomar knot for most applications when I don't use the loop I described above, although I've switched to the uni knot more often lately. I've had trouble with the palomar breaking. I still tie an overhand knot close to the palomar to keep the knot from slipping. The palomar knot is probably the most tied knot among bass anglers. It's a quick not to tie and it usually holds up against quite a bit of tension.

Again, this post isn't meant to be a lesson on tying knots. There are already several sites that illustrate how to tie a palomar knot better than I could. I do have a how-to on tying a palomar knot for drop shotting.

The uni knot is another strong knot and it's a fun one to tie. I make five or six turns around the main line. Some people even tie a double uni. This knot isn't supposed to slip, but I have had it happen and lost a lure. I also tie an overhand knot to secure this one.

I have found the three knots that I am most confident tying and using. Every angler has their own list of choices when talking knots. Get out there and try a few different knots and decide for yourself which ones work better for different types of lines or line diameters. In most cases there is no correct answer when asking which knot is the best. Sometimes certain knots do work better in specific applications. In fact, I'm sure someone reading this post is dying for a chance to recommend the clinch knot. Before giving up on any particular knot, make sure you've tied it correctly. Even the smallest of mistakes can make a knot a weak one.

- 2011 Edit -
I have taken to tying a knot called the Pitzen knot on many of my rigs. It has replaced my loop knot on lures like crankbaits and topwaters, but anything I've been using with a swivel is on that list too. The Pitzen knot is very easy to tie, so I recommend looking it up on YouTube as there are some very nice tying illustrations available there.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Very nice blog, sir.

Fishing Knife Reviews said...

Nice knot breakdown. Makes me recall my boy scout days haha.