I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

• Review: BPS Neoprene Gloves


I bought the BPS Neoprene gloves because I needed something a little extra when it cools off down here in Louisiana. I'm talking about fishing in air temps from 40 degrees to the low 50s. We don't get many days where the temps drop into the 30s or below, so there's no reason to get anything too bulky. I just needed something to keep my hands dry in the cool windy afternoons we have down here and still be able to keep a couple fingers on the line for sensitivity's sake.

I tried them on before buying and mediums were all that BPS had on the rack. It was an okay fit, so I bought them. The gloves have 3mm of lightweight sharkskin rubber gripping material on the palmar surface, 2mm of neoprene, and fold back fingers with slits in the thumb and forefinger. Velcro keeps both finger tips bent backwards and out of the way and there is a velcro strap that goes around the wrist for a snug fit.

These gloves aren't as warm as you might think. It was definitely colder at the finger tips, even when covered. I tried the gloves out in 40 degree weather off the pier and in 50 degree weather out on the main lake on a windy day with cool water. I'm not sure how warm your hands will be in colder weather. I would guess that if you kept your core temperature nice and toasty, the blood flow alone would make a slight difference in your fingers. I might find a pair of small cotton gloves and trim the tops off the thumb and forefinger just so I can have an extra layer covering everything else on the inside.

The finger slits were very easy to manage and stayed out of my way when reeling, casting, and thumbing the line on my baitcasters. They did get in the way when tying knots and the gloved fingers made tying a little more problematic. I guess I'm accustomed to using my thumb, forefinger, and middle finger to tie. The fingers of the glove are a little wide, so I can't use my middle finger for tying at all. I have to take the gloves off to get a good knot. With enough practice, I'm sure I could manage with them on. These gloves are very easy to take on and off to do things like tying knots and handling fish or tackle.

Casting felt a little different at first. The weight of the rod felt funny with the gloves on. It's like the rod wasn't there. My wrist didn't have full range of motion because the length of the glove goes beyond the wrist joint and the strap was wrapped tight. It took a few casts to adjust to the different feel. So wrist mobility and weight sensitivity are both hampered by gloves.

The grip was great for driving the boat and for handling fish by the lip. Keep in mind that fish have that protective slime layer and handling them with gloves will mess that up leaving them vulnerable. I didn't even try touching the bodies of any fish with the gloves on nor did I dip my gloved hand into the water to get them wet in order to handle the fish. Yeah, they're neoprene, but dipping your hand into the water with gloves that have finger slits will only get water inside of the gloves. Other than that, I'd say they're pretty water proof.

The wrist strap has to be tight enough to keep air from blowing in while driving the boat and you have to make sure and bring the glove down over your shirt sleeve or under your coat sleeve. Do that and these gloves keep your hands warm coasting along on plane. The wrist strap can be a little too floppy and I felt like it wanted to play catch me if you can a few times.

You might want to inspect the stitching on each glove before you buy them. I noticed the first pair I tried on had some loose stitching on a couple of the fingers. Ideally, I would want a pair of gloves like this with the same continuous material all the way around as if formed from a mold of one's hand. If you go to Walmart, I think the neoprene gloves they sell are the exact same gloves with a different brand label and color pattern. They still cost the same price.

Final say: Not the warmest gloves, but they'll do fine. I may splurge on the $40 Glacier Gloves with finger slits because the two reviews I read say they're warm.



Please go here and read that post as I no longer support nor shop at Bass Pro Shops.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in Australia and want to know where I can buy the BPS Neoprene Gloves that are listed here? Thanks Anthony

BassFishingDem said...

Short of purchasing them online at Bass Pro's web site or other online venue (eBay for example), I'm not sure what to tell you. The Walmart equivalent gloves are virtually identical which means somewhere along the line, there is a common denominator in production (made in China). It would seem as though you could find the same thing in the sports section of a popular retail chain in your own country without having to endure the high shipping charges.