I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

• My Hooks

Again, this is another topic where I'm no expert, but I do have a choice when buying hooks. I'll mention which hooks I have and what I use them with. I'm a little unconventional with regards to hooks. I like to make hooks work for me in more situations than the so called standard dictates. I do have a large collection of much smaller hooks in unmarked cases. I use those for things like sunfish and crappie, but most of those hooks are gathering dust and rusting away.

2/0 Eagle Claw offset hooks
I've used these for drop shotting, Renegade Twirl Tail worms, and even on a Senko type bait. Anything 5 inches or less is fair game as long as it sits straight with the offset. Some plastics tend to slip or bend.

4/0 and 5/0 Gamakatsu EWG hooks
I use these hooks almost exclusively if I'm not using a screw-on Horny Toad hook. They are fairly strong hooks and seem to be sharp enough to get good hook sets. I use 4/0 more than I do 5/0, but when I use big worms, the 5/0 gets all the attention.

3/0, 4/0 Horny Toad Frog hooks
I use these hooks the most. Plastics do tend to slip and although companies are coming out with screw lock type hooks these days, I own enough of these hooks that I don't have a good reason to buy something else at this time. Aside from using these hooks on frogs/toads, the 3/0 works well on Senko type baits and 4/0 hooks work for almost anything else. Plastics last a lot longer when attached with a screw, so if your Senkos and Zoom Lizards tear up after one fish, consider going with hooks of this nature.

4/0 weighted Stanley Wedge V Lock hooks
I use these almost exclusively for Ribbits. In a pinch, a weighted hook like this works nicely for when I want to get a plastic to the bottom and keep it there. I have noticed that with the Ribbits, bass have an awfully easy time spitting the hook out.

VMC Sure Set hooks in sizes 4 and 6
I replace my front treble hooks on most lipped and lipless crankbaits with sure set hooks. The red hooks lose paint after catching a lot of fish, but they still help me catch more fish than a regular treble hook.

Gammy Trebles 4's and 6's
When I want to replace treble hooks, I tend to stay loyal to Gammy hooks. There may be better hooks out there, but right now I have a bad case of brand loyalty. I use both the red and black nickel hooks.

Gammy Jobee Pro Hooks, 1/8oz
I recently purchased these and have had a few chances to try them out. These hooks have performed to my expectations. I get the fall I want and the hook sets are good too. Again, I'll mention that little thing called brand loyalty.

Strike King Bleeding Bait 2/0 trailer hooks
I'm not a huge fan of trailer hooks and I rarely use them. If I do, these hooks are just the easiest to find. The hook keepers aren't the easiest to put on, but I've worked out a technique of sliding them on and off efficiently.

Jigs I buy tend to have Mustad hooks. I still haven't caught a bass on a jig yet unless you count the shaky heads. Still, all of the popularity surrounding Mustad hooks makes me a potential customer in the future. Even the Spot Remover shaky jigs use Mustad Ultra points.

0 comments: