Last night as I was casting the toad that replaced the first, I noticed the same thing had happened. No fish had hit the lure. This damage either occurred on the fly during a cast or as I was hopping it free of brush at the base of cypress trees. It ripped in exactly the same manner on the opposite foot this time.
I patched it up with a lighter and used a heated knife edge to smooth it over. At some point today, I will take it down to the water and cast a while to see how well my patch job holds up. I'll come back and report on my findings. Still, this seems to be a weak spot in the plastic. If you've experienced the same problem, I'm sure others would like to know. I've found the Rage Toad to be extremely durable despite this one problem.
The first attempt at repairing the Rage Toad did not work. I melted the plastic with a lighter and tried to make the pieces adhere. Last night I patched up the feet with a little more effort. I melted the plastic from a nose of a damaged Horny Toad and smacked a little bit on both sides of the tear. I did this to both toads and tested durability today. So far both are holding up and still give the same amount of splash they did before.
A Few Frogs Part 4: Strike King Rage Toad