I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

• Cross Lake Report 8/1-8/8

I have not posted a fishing report in a while because I have not caught very much lately. I've only been fishing off the pier. The boat needs gas and I'm watching gas prices a little closer. The weather has been changing in our area a lot lately. We were having 100 degree temps during the day without any rain over weeks at a time. Over the last week or so, we've had a few good downpours and that has surely changed the bite.

On the 28th, I noted that the folks from the hatchery were spraying for weeds again out this way. About a week later, I caught a bass that probably weighed about 1.5lbs on a Zoom Super Fluke fished near a tree. I didn't feel the tap and my line suddenly started moving. I set the hook, landed the bass, and discovered I had gut hooked it. Took me a while to remove the hook and the bass did not survive. I tried approaching through the gills, but the barb had gone all the way through and out again. I never had one die on me so fast either. Since this area had been sprayed, I didn't want to risk eating it, so I left it for the coons that frequent the yard at night. The last time the weeds were sprayed, an announcement was sent out with a 14 day water safety warning and I would assume that also extends to any fish caught over that time period. Better safe than sorry.

I fished another evening with someone else. She caught a crappie bigger than my hand that got away and then caught a nice 1lb catfish. I was surprised to see the crappie up in here in the warmer water. Warm is not usually their thing. I floated around in a small boat that morning and hooked into a small slot-sized bass on the Zoom Super Fluke, but it shook free. I saw a lot of action hitting the surface along the banks. Couldn't figure out how they wanted it.

Since then, lots of smaller bass have been working the shallow water chasing shad around. The gar are also cruising in full force. I actually saw someone out one day bowfishing, but never saw him take a shot. I caught two unders. One came on a size 3 Mepps Aglia and the other came on a 3/8oz swimblade. The same evening, I fished the swimblade again and hooked into a bowfin. I'm just going to say it again. I love my Pflueger Summit. The bowfin probably went 3-4lbs and I brought it to the pier in no time at all. No fuss. I didn't get it on the pier though. It got away as I lifted it out of the water. The bowfin did some side to side action in the air and spit out the hook. Now I think I am going to finally break down and buy another Summit or perhaps splurge on a Patriarch. I am addicted to speed.

There is a little bit of hydrilla growing in spots and the spray didn't kill many of the pads. We've had a lot more rain since then, so things are stirred up quite a bit. I haven't checked water temps lately. I should go out and buy a small portable temperature gauge. Water levels have been slowly dropping. People must have been watering their dying lawns. I'm hoping it drops some more so I can take care of the heavy weed growth down along the bank. I also finally saw the first gator of the year last night. I had seen something making a V line towards a boat fishing back this way and sure enough about 30 minutes later, it came back in my direction. It wasn't very big. Probably only went six feet or so.

0 comments: