I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

• Cross Lake Report 9-20-2008

Cross Lake
Shreveport, Louisiana

I finally had a chance this morning to hit the water. I started out of Fleming at around 9am. Even though it was somewhat of a late start, I was confident I could find the same group of fish schooling again. There was one problem. I couldn't find the spot at first. I should have marked it as a waypoint on the GPS.

After fishing some trees on the south end, I worked my way back into the shallow water and caught the first bass of the day and even though it was a dink, it was enough to convince me they were biting. I was using a 1/2oz jig with a LFT Pig Claw trailer. I kept working cypress trees with the jig and hooked into something fairly large. I'm not sure what it was, but as soon as I set the hook, it ran with it. Apparently I foul hooked it because moments later, the fish came loose. The jig hook had two large scales stuck on it and they smelled awfully fishy.

As I motored back west along the tree line, I noticed a few landmarks and found the spot I fished on the 15th. Sure enough, I could see the bass chasing shad. I quit pitching the jig and tossed my Bandit crankbait over into the mix. I picked one up right away. After releasing that bass, something else caught my eye over along the next line of trees. A fish was jumping out of the water and the limb above it was moving up and down. You guessed it. Limb line. I stopped casting for the schooling bass and went over to see what kind of fish had been hooked. After positioning the boat so I could handle the limb line, I lifted the fish up to find about a four or five pound carp on the end. Man that fish was strong. I cut it loose and went back to fishing for the bass. I hate limb lines. They are illegal on this lake.

I picked up six more small bass until some guy in a flat bottom boat came out from the canal behind me. The fish spooked just like they did last time. I couldn't get a bite after that. I did try to search for them and even saw one hit the surface, but nothing wanted to bite. I marked the spot on the GPS and decided to head over to the Islands on the west end. In the past, I have always had luck finding similar schools of bass in between these islands.

I worked along the side of one of the islands throwing the crankbait into the shadows of cypress trees trying to stay shallow. I caught a nice fat 2lb 11oz bass on the southern end of one of the islands. That was good enough for me to call it quits and head in around 2pm.

Water temps in the morning were around 76 degrees and climbed to 82 degrees in the afternoon. Most of the west end of the lake looks heavily stained. I'm hoping that as the lake level continues to drop, things will clear up a little. There were quite a few boats out today, but I didn't see anyone catching fish.

What worked today:
1/2oz black/red Revenge Jig
3 1/2" LFT Pig Claw Trailer
7.1:1 baticaster
12lb Gamma Copolymer
6'6" MH graphite rod
Very shallow water behind cypress trees

Bandit 100 series chartreuse/blue back crankbait
6.3:1 Baitcaster
7' ML cranking stick
12lb Gamma Copolymer
3-4' of water, very little vegetation, stained





1 comments:

CT Fishing Reports said...

Looks a great fishing trip. This is my first visit to your site, and it seems we have alot in common! I too started a fishing blog because I was tired of all the nonsense that came along with all the fishing forums... If you are interested in trading links with my site, please check us out at IFISHCT.com

Keep up the good work, and I will keep an eye out for you on my site! - Erick