I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

• Off The Pier 1-3-09: First Bass of '09

Cross Lake. Shreveport, Louisiana

I landed my first bass of 2009 this evening around 5:30 on a 3/8oz swimblade. Thanks to my trusty new Patriarch, I was able to get the casting distance necessary to put the lure in front of this fish. The swimblade was not cooperating though because the blade did not want to work. To get the swimblade thumping again, I jerked the rod back. On the second pull of the rod, I felt something on the other end and set the hook.

It took a while to get this one to the pier. This bass splashed twice on its way in and kept fighting me, but I continued to take up line and got it to swim towards me. After one last splash next to the pier, I lifted it out of the water and took a picture. I didn't weigh this one because I did not bring a scale down with me, but I'd guess it was in the 1.5 to 2lb range. Not bad for the first bass of '09.


On another note, I did happen to see an eagle fly over this afternoon. I saw two out on Caddo on the 30th and I have a feeling the wind today ended up blowing one of them this way. I'd like to watch one swoop down and grab a fish for a change.

3 comments:

Basspastor said...

This year I am going to be learning the swimblade or as I call them chatter jigs. I got SK Pure Poison's and was sent some lures to try by DM Custom Baits.

I am jealous that you are able to use your equipment right now.

Rattletrap Rambling said...

I grew up fishing off docks and there's something always relaxing about fishing from land. There's some farm ponds I like to walk where I live that's loaded with 8's and 10's. Heck, it's nice even if you don't anything watching all the wildlife and scenery.

BassFishingDem said...

BP, let me know if you have any questions once you hit the water with those new lures.
Swimblade Commentary
Swimblade Trailer Choices

RR, I agree completely. It's a very enjoyable experience. However, there are always moments where I want to cast somewhere I can't reach from land. Wish my spot was loaded with bass in the 8 to 10 range.