I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

• Revenge Flip Jigs

Revenge Baits - http://www.revengebaits.com/

In the realm of jigs, there are plenty of brands to choose from. Many anglers have their minds made up. Some prefer name brand jigs and others make their own. Several small lure companies make quality jigs, so it's always good to give one of them a chance and see how they hold up. I was not new to jig fishing, but it took me a long time to get my first jig bass. After getting some confidence with a jig, I wanted to explore other options and find one design that I really liked. I took head design, rattles, and skirt appearance all into consideration. I did not want a football jig or one where the eyelet sticks out. I seem to prefer jigs with recessed eyelets and long flowing skirts with a healthy mix of bulk and action. I also wanted one with rattles that would stay attached because I've had a couple of bad experiences with losing them. I came across Revenge Flip Jigs which seemed to have most of these qualities, so I picked out three confidence colors in the 1/2 ounce model (black/red, black/blue, and craw). At $3.69 a piece, it still puts them in that competitive price range. On top of that, they are made in the USA.

The Basics:
These jigs appear to be available in 14 colors, although the Revenge Baits site lists fewer than what Tacklewarehouse has available. These colors include black, black/blue, black/blue/purple, black/red, brown, brown/black, brown/black/amber, brown/black/red, craw, peanut butter & jelly, watermelon/red flake, chameleon chartreuse, chameleon orange, and white. I bought the black/blue, black/red, and craw colored jigs. You can find them in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 1 1/2 ounce weights.

The jig head:
Revenge Flip Jig lead heads are very unique. They have peculiar triangular shaped heads and the front is relatively flat, but angled upwards to allow the lure to pivot or rock forward. It also has a recessed eyelet at the top to keep from hanging up in heavy cover. The paint job has a very vivid look and absolutely superb durability. Each jig head is painted with a beautiful chip resistant finish in either solid or multi-color designs. That paint job gives these jigs an extra punch in the color department. In my opinion, it's the best design out there.

The skirt:
The skirt is described as a custom silicone skirt. Each of the jigs I purchased had a strand count of 45. I have already mentioned the available colors to choose from, but I feel I should emphasize that the skirt blends well with the color of the jig head. The skirt is secured in place with a light colored plastic band. I don't know how durable that band will be in our summer heat. Most skirt collars eventually fall apart. The strands themselves have a flowing action and to get a little more, I trimmed them back to the level of the hook bend. Scroll to the bottom of this post to see how the skirt fans out when submerged in water.

Other things to mention:
The hook isn't all that fascinating. It's just a Mustad Ultra-Point round bend hook. The weedguard is just a weedguard. The rattle is a basic two chamber rattle attached to the shaft of the jig. A guard is molded into the neck of the jig to keep the skirt and rattle from sliding off.

My experiences so far:
I use a pitching technique most of the time, but I've been known to do some quick sidearm casts. I can feel every little bounce along the bottom and I suspect that can be attributed to the unique head design. The front of the jig head can roll forward and glide as I drag the lure. The hook seems sharp enough for good hookset penetration and the weedguard does not get in the way. I paired these jigs with a Lake Fork Tackle Pig Claw trailer, but Paca Chunks and V&M Super Chunks are good too.

Problems:
The skirt hangs up in the weedguard far too often. I don't know how that affects my presentation in the water, but I'm not happy when I reel the jig in and have to pick out skirt strands stuck in the weedguard. I have already lost one rattle chamber too. It broke off where it attaches to the collar, but the other chamber is still there. I also find myself picking out small pieces of debris caught up in the skirt mainly around the skirt collar. Otherwise, these jigs have held up well. I've banged them into a few things and the paint did not chip.

My final say:
These jigs are beautiful, perform well, and give me good feedback when there is a tap. I can find them locally at a reasonable price, but only at one tackle shop. The head design was what sealed the deal for me. It looks as though I can use these jigs when pitching, flipping, and even swimming. I enjoy using lures that give me options.

1 comments:

MNAngler said...

Great detailed review. I like the look of the head. I'm definitely going to pick up a few of these and try them out next season.