I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

• Caddo 3-5-09, Windy, Never Again!

There was a lake wind advisory out for the area lakes with steady winds of 20mph and 30mph gusts, but that did not stop me from fishing on Caddo today. Hit the water around 8am. Wind really wasn't so bad at that point, but I took boat row E to avoid some of the open water. Water temps started off around 56 and reached 59 to 60 by the end of the day in most places I fished. The wind had the lake stirred up, so most of the water I fished was pretty stained. Didn't see any fish at all in the clear shallow water I ran over except for one little bass over in Jeems. The green stuff is starting to come back in, especially back in some of the shallow coves. I ended up hooking into four fish, but was only able to boat one of 'em. The two basic concepts I stuck with today were wind blown banks and current. It's all I really could do in such strong wind. Didn't have much of a choice.

I started out just north of Big Green Break near Jap Island. I think it's a relatively popular spot. Every time I go by that area, boats are in there. Picked up a small chain pickerel right away on a trap in some dead pad stems. The wind picked up and I moved out closer to boat row C to fish the current created by the wind. Everyone else was hitting the cypress trees. Hooked into a good sized gar before it decided to surface and shake loose. I crossed over to the other side of the boat row and fished some trees like everyone else, but when the wind gusts picked up, I went along with the breeze and drifted towards Jap Island. I worked a rattle trap on both sides of the boat and hooked a pretty good bass. From the way it was swimming, I think I might have foul hooked it. I was able to get the bass right next to the boat before it came loose. Looked about 2lbs and it had one of those black spots I've seen on other area fish. Drifted back and forth across that stretch a couple more times and gave up. Went over to Jeems next and pulled off around marker B46. Hooked a dink bass on the same trap, but it also came loose just shy of the boat.

That's the report. I won't ever go back out there with wind like that pushing me around. I think I tried to take part of the lake home with me. The rough waves splashed me pretty good as I motored across the lake. I'm glad the sun was out. Otherwise, I think my shirt would still be wet. The trolling motor also saw some heavy use. I had it at full speed all day. The battery was not drained, but all that moving around sure wiped me out.

I'm beginning to think Caddo is a lot like Cross in some respects. Location is apparently everything. Caddo has so much good cover and structure though, so I am beginning to wonder how good the bass population really is on that lake. I should be on a lot more fish, but they just aren't there.

0 comments: