I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

• Curado 200E5 or The Winch?

It seems I am not alone in this conundrum. Do a search on the net for a good cranking reel and you will find several anglers wrestling with the difficult decision. The only thing missing in my lineup is a solid cranking rig for throwing crankbaits, slow rolling spinnerbaits, and maybe even toss plastics.

Aside from coming into a small amount of money recently, an article in the latest Field & Stream spurred my interest in a 5:1 cranking reel. They compared four $50 reels. Yeah, the Shimano Callisto came in at 2nd place, but that's not what caught my eye. The Pflueger Criterion was on their list. Being the Pflueger fan that I am, I became interested in investigating this reel. That exercise in thought brought me to the Revo Winch and the Curado 200E5. Both reels are excellent. You cannot dispute that.

I played with lots of reels at the 2009 Bassmaster Classic Expo. News of the brand new Winch caught my eye online the last time I had the urge to buy a cranking reel. I definitely checked out the Curado, the Winch, and also inspected the Toro, among others. Another reel I was interested in, which is currently out of my price range, but has an equally solid reputation is the Daiwa Sol. Like everyone else, I'm left jumping between going with a Revo Winch or a Curado E5.

Here's how I compared the two.

Curado vs Winch
Ratio
5.0:1 vs 5.4:1 Difference likely negligible
Line Recovery
21" vs 20.6" Likely negligible difference
Line Capacity
10/155 vs 12/175 Advantage: Winch
Drag
12lbs vs 24lbs Advantage: Winch
Weight
7.6oz vs 8.5oz Advantage: Curado
Bearings
7 vs 11 Advantage: Depends on your take on bearings.

Other differences to note:
The Winch has an oversized handle to take some of the work out of the equation. Both use centrifugal braking systems. No mags. The Curado has a wider, but more shallow area around the spool while the Winch has a deep and narrow spool. They both appear to sit about the same height off of the reel seat. That's important for someone like me who tends to fish holding the foregrip (I don't palm). Abu Garcia has some rebate offers. I could get a $20 mail in rebate OR pay S&H for a pair of P17 or Slyde Wiley X sunglasses.

What did internet searches reveal?

People suggested that the Curado throws lighter baits better than the Winch. Apparently if you want to throw deep diving cranks, a Revo Winch is probably for you. If you throw smaller cranks and anything 1/2oz or less, a Curado will do the job. While I can't confirm either claim, enough people mentioned the difference to suggest some truth.

The Shimano/Curado name has a history with anglers. Reliable, smooth, and lasts a heck of a long time. Sure, Shimano fanboys will love it, but hey, it's THE Curado. The Revo is an up and coming star in the baitcaster world though and Abu has its target.

The Winch was designed for cranking. The Winch is meant for deep cranking.

There were other minor discussions, but for what I needed to know in comparing the two, these were the high points.

Where does that leave me?

While many people may never need a 24lb drag, you'd be surprised how much I hang up when cranking. A good drag helps me when I hang up on anything. Still, 11 on the Curado is plenty too. I have to be honest. The comments about throwing lighter baits swayed me. Although it depends on other things like line and rod choice, my mind has been tainted to believe the Curado plays nice with lighter lures.

Here's what I think made the decision for me. Throwing cranks all day is a tough gig. It can really tire you out fast. All that work takes its toll. I think a 7.6oz reel will be more forgiving on my hands and arms than 8.5 ounces.

I'm going to pair it with an extra MH 6'6 graphite rod sitting idle next to my combos. It's a good all around rod for multiple applications. I plan on cranking, obviously, but also slow rolling spinnerbaits, slow rolling swimblades, and tossing weighted plastics. I also want the extra backbone to make up for the slower retrieve speed. I've lost fish in the past because I couldn't keep up with a fast swimmer on gear unable to keep up.

Related Posts:
Shimano Curado 200E5
Curado E5 Casting Distance

Additional Links:
TackleTour Review: Winch
TackleTour Review: Curado E

2 comments:

Rattletrap Ramblings said...

I have some Curado E's and some Revo's and they're both great reels. I love the smoothness, lightness, and castability of Curado and the solid, yet heavier feel of the Revo's. I don't like all the plastic sideplates on the Curado E's and the paint on the Revo chips really easily. Just my 2 cents.

BassFishingDem said...

Thanks for the feedback. I agree. Both are great reels. That's what made my decision so tough. Comfort and reputation won me over. The lighter Curado will make life easier on the water. Picked up an E5 this afternoon and already tried it out off the pier. So far, so good. Gotta refresh my memory about all that Shimano red/green brake tab nonsense though.