I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Friday, June 5, 2009

• Cross Lake Report 6-5-2009

Started fishing around 4:30pm today. The goal this evening was to get some use out of my new Curado E5. Tried cranking and slow rolling a spinnerbait with it and I think I got the hang of the braking system. Water temps ranged between 81 and 83 degrees. Most water was heavily stained with very poor visibility beneath the surface.

Fished the islands on the west end. I tried to find the old hydrilla weed lines, but I think the spraying they did last year changed everything. I found one section of hydrilla north of the middle island that held fish in the past. Beyond that, only patches of hydrilla were growing. Most of it was brown though. Not a good sign. There used to be a good line of hydrilla along the west edge of the middle island and a really thick stand going along the southern tip of the first island. I couldn't find much there this time. I found lots of debris like a bunch of wood had washed in. The bottom varies from silt to clay. Depths range from 4 to 7 feet depending on how close you troll to the islands.

Started out throwing a DT-6 in hopes of finding a few dinks or white bass schooling. Nothing hit until just after 5pm. Caught a little bass casting across the few clusters of hydrilla just outside of the thicker stuff. First fish on the Curado. Handled it well, but the fish jumped twice. Hooked that bass on the front set of Sure Set trebles. Turned the bass over and saw an awful scrape on its side. Not sure what could have made that kind of mark, but the bass I've been catching lately seem to have some battle scars.



Couldn't get a bite slow rolling the spinnerbait, but I think a white bass bumped it a couple of times. As an afterthought, I should have put on a trailer hook. The only problem I had slow rolling was that I could not really feel the blades turning all that well. I was throwing a 1/2oz Terminator T2.

Alternated between the DT-6 and a Bandit 100 series to check out how fish were sitting in the water column. Had a few hits on the Bandit. One was really strong. Might have been a good white bass. It came off seconds later. Also had something follow the lure up to the boat.

I switched off to a Strike King Red Eye Shad rigged on the Patriarch. Worked the edges casting perpendicular to the light breeze. Kept fan casting closer to shallow water and hooked into a good chain pickerel that turned out to be a little over 2lbs. Had a gut and large head.


Tried a color change with the DT-6. I was throwing one in Parrot, but tried a more shad-like silver pattern to match what was swimming around. I saw a few dead and dying minnows out there. Had another pike have a go at that crankbait, but it came off. Now that I think about it, maybe a spoon would have done some good.

Now comes my rant. I hold the opinion that Cross Lake has some of the most rude boaters I've ever encountered. Almost every wake that hit me today came off a bass boat. The jet skis avoided me altogether. One or two other recreational boaters came through, but most of the boats running and gunning through my spot were bass boats.

I will concede that the spot I fished today was in the middle of a channel and boaters tend to use it often, but it is a cut between a few islands. Open water is nearby and nothing prevents anyone coming out of the Fleming boat launch from using open water to go around the islands. Visibility is great on either side, so if it were me and I saw a boat in the channel, I would have gone around. Here's a map. The black line is how most people end up going. The red line is how I wish they'd go around. Am I expecting too much? When a boat goes through, it scatters the school I was following and kills the bite.

0 comments: