I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Friday, June 19, 2009

• Off the Pier 6-19-2009

By now, you probably know that whenever I fish off the pier, I only catch one or two bass. I call that a good day by pier standards. If I happen to catch more than that, I consider it a spectacular day. The area around the pier offers only so many casting options and let's face it, if the fish aren't there, as so often is the case, nothing is going to bite anyway.

The summer heat has settled in down here in Shreveport. Air temps are hitting the mid to upper 90's and we start out our mornings in the 70's. The middle of the day is certainly no picnic. We're in post spawn mode now and shallow water may not always yield a catch. Mornings and evenings are certainly more ideal.

So today, I started fishing around 3pm. The sun was beating down at an angle from the west creating shade behind many cypress trees. I was armed with my Pflueger Patriarch on a 7' MH rod and a Trophy Series Scumfrog in black. Oh yes. I fished the Scumfrog again today.


After working over the duckweed without seeing any action, I moved out to fish some of the shadows behind cypress trees. One particular tree had a clump of weeds behind it creating the ideal cool spot for a bass to lurk. I worked from the outside in making long casts at my intended target. Nothing. Then I put the frog right where I knew something must be hiding. Three bounces of the frog later, a splash erupted. I made the necessary one-two count. Fish on.

Didn't have my scale with me, but felt like a solid 2lb bass in the slot limit. Let it go of course.

Fished some pads and other shaded areas within casting distance and came up with nothing. I went back to fishing duckweed and had something nip at my frog a couple of times, but never hooked up. At that point, I looked down at my reel. My hands were stained brown and a similar scum had tarnished my shiny reel. The line had also accumulated a significant amount of brown scum, so I went inside to tediously clean it all off.

I came back out around 6pm armed with some finesse gear and a tiny 1/16oz jig meant for fish like sunfish and crappie. When the duckweed fills in this time of year, I can often walk the full distance of the pier flipping the jig into various spots along the way and come up with fish ranging from small sunfish, crappie, warmouth, channel catfish, and even bass. Sometimes even a turtle takes an interest. The fish are rarely of significant size, but it's guaranteed fun. Occasionally, I get a nice surprise and land a good bass or catfish. Unfortunately, the hook on this tiny jig is weak and any fish with enough gusto can straighten one out or break it clean off without much effort, so the surprise can often turn into disappointment.

Caught two mid sized sunfish off of two different cypress trees right off the bat. Had a few nibbles here and there, but missed them. I went back to flipping into the duckweed. I dropped the jig into a spot and let it sit. My line started to move which is unusual because normally, I get a quick series of taps first. I set the hook. It was a 1-2lb bass. Like I said before, the fish are usually small, but once in a while, I get a surprise. Landed one more small sunfish and hooked another which I sent flying up into a cypress tree. That was enough fun for one evening, so I quit.

0 comments: