I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

• Off The Pier 8-23-2009 - Another Fun One!

Cross Lake. Shreveport, Louisiana.

Tonight was a fun one. Caught six on my black Trophy Series Scumfrog in the span of about 30 minutes. One of them was a solid 3lber.

I haven't been fishing off the pier much. In fact, I haven't been fishing much at all lately. Not many boats have been fishing this part of the lake either, so I knew the pressure had been fairly light. It made me wonder if the bass had come up in here.

Started fishing off the pier around 7:30pm. I grabbed two rigs. The first was my Patriarch with the Trophy Series Scumfrog tied on. The second was a Shimano Callisto with a weighted Zoom Finesse Worm. When I walked onto the pier, I started casting the frog parallel to it into the duckweed and noticed some swirls further up.

After walking another 15 feet or so, I noticed two good swirls, so I cast near the closest. During the retrieve, I saw some movement in the duckweed. Small fish of some kind were schooled up in the shallow duckweed. That's what the fish were after.

Hooked two right away back to back. Both were small. Kept fishing over the same spot and had a gar nip at it a few times. Cast further up along the pier and missed a short hit, so I kept advancing my way up the pier. Then I heard splashes from behind me where I had thrown the first two back. Thinking they might hit a second time, I tossed the frog over. Picked up a somewhat larger bass than the previous two. Also had another gar nip at the frog. They make a very distinct swirl and their nose is easy to spot bobbing up and down on the surface.

Fished a weed line a little further out and noticed a very subtle swirl behind my lure. That's what I love about duckweed. If a fish is stalking your bait, its movement disrupts the duckweed on the surface. I quickly reeled back in and cast out to the same spot. It hit. Another small one.

Went to the end of the pier and saw a splash, so I put the frog right on it. Had something small blow up right away, but I missed it. Made a lot of random casts and came back to a more reliable tree. Put the frog a good six feet away and started working it back. Had a short hit and missed it. Cast back there again and missed the spot. Made a third cast that was dead on and worked it slower. Wham! I started cranking and felt the weight of the fish on the other end. Then it jumped. I knew I had a nice one on this time. It pulled me into some weeds, but I kept taking up the slack and brought it along side the front of the pier. Aware that I was wasting time, I lifted it out of the water. Nice solid 3lb bass.

Made a few more long casts and then went back to that same spot where I had just caught the good one. I put the frog close to the tree this time and lost sight of my lure for a moment. Then I couldn't see it on the surface after a more intense stare. I set the hook. Yep. Another one, but it was small. After a few more casts, I called it quits. Mosquitoes were eating me alive.

Sorry about some of the photos. My phone does not take good shots in low light conditions.

0 comments: