I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

• Caddo 2-28-2010

Fished Caddo Lake today from 11am to 4pm. Started out on the north side of Big Green Break casting a Big Bite Baits Biobait Trick Stick at trees. I essentially followed the same path I took the last time I was out on Caddo, hitting clusters of cypress trees and avoiding the scattered ones, making sure to cast around any duck blinds as I went. I kept a Yo Mama rigged with a 3/16oz bullet weight ready to go for pitching to the same kinds of spots. I had other lures rigged up, but never got around to using everything I had planned.

I saw several boats out there today. I hold the opinion that whenever the boat rows on Caddo are lively, the fishing is tough. Whenever anglers are staying put and not running and gunning, the fish are biting. Today was a run and gun kind of day. People were casting, but they sure weren't catching. Lots of fishing pressure.

So I worked my way up to boat lane C and went across it into an open stretch I'm vaguely familiar with. In the past, I have had success finding one or two bites along a spot where dead pad stems border hydrilla in six or seven feet of water. I found fish there before by casting a lipless crankbait with a fancasting approach. After KVD's recent win, I was all geared up to throw a 1/2oz Red Eye Shad on my 5:1 Curado and not the usual 7:1 Patriarch. Third cast in, I had a bite, but it didn't fee like a bite. Felt more like dragging through weeds. I barely even set the hook. Finally felt the fish on the other end, tugged a little, and cranked it up to the back of the boat. For some reason, the photo I took didn't do the fish justice. Weighed in at 2lbs 7oz.

Went about casting the RES for a while, searching for more bites. When that didn't work, I switched to a different color rattle trap and came up with nothing. Slowed down and worked both the Trick Stick and a 10" Power Worm with nothing to show for my work. Reeled in lots of hydrilla and dead pad stems, but that's to be expected when fishing a lipless crankbait.

Circled back around and tried drifting with the wind, casting the Red Eye Shad to either side, hoping to find a bite.

Didn't happen.

Headed in at 4pm when the clouds showed up overhead. Water temps starting out hovered around 48 to 49 degrees. I didn't hit 50 degree water until that last spot where I caught the fish.

Now I'm going to go wipe down my reels.

2 comments:

James said...

For the last couple of years I've had better luck with the X-Caliber Xr-50 than the Red Eye Shad. Pearl Melon is a good color to try.

Also, rod selection is important with lipless crankbaits, a 6'6" in medium action has come to be my favorite.

I know KVD catches bass on the RES, but he's KVD he could probably catch bass with a stick and a string, he's just in a different league from the rest of us.

BassFishingDem said...

That's what I've got my E5 rigged on, a medium 6'6. The RES has been okay so far. I just realized that maybe I was fishing it too fast with the 7:1 and opted to slow 'er down with the 5:1. KVD's bite at the Classic just served as a reminder.