I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

• Some Therapeutic Shopping

I periodically checked in with the ESPN BASS reports pertaining to the Classic today. It was clear early on that my Fantasy Fishing choices were suffering. I then sent out a tweet on Twitter that perhaps I had jinxed my choices simply by choosing them. Never got any kind of response to the tweet, but at the end of the weigh in, two of my anglers were towards the top and three had a rough day.

I needed to fill the void created by a questionable first day.

I went to Academy and picked up some lures. I went to another tackle shop and got something too. Nothing like some therapeutic shopping to boost my mood. Now I'm looking forward to using some new stuff.

What did I buy? I knew you'd ask that question. Here's a photo first.


This journey did not start today. Over the last few weeks, I have been making a list of things I need. No point in going shopping for a few items. The list finally hit a wall and I couldn't come up with any other things I needed to toss into my tackle box.

My shad colored Wave Worms Tiki Sticks have been drawing some bites, but I ended up going through a few of them. I don't have more than one pack of them left in my reserves, although I have plenty in bubble gum. In December, I bought some Big Bite Bait Trick Sticks in a sexy shad motif as a gift for someone else. After looking at them, I wanted some of my own, especially since they slightly resemble a shad color. So I bought a pack of those.

Next on the list were jigs. I wanted plain round jigheads in 1/8oz and 1/4oz sizes, but I also wanted them with cross-eyelets similar to the Eakins Jig. Academy didn't have many choices and the best I could find ended up being the Strike King Tour Grade Shaky Head jigs. They only come in packs of three, so I wasn't completely satisfied with the cost ratio. I want to use them with finesse worms and a few other light weight soft plastics.

Along the same lines, I wanted some 3/16oz bullet weights. I'm not picky and usually go for inexpensive lead weights. I liked the Water Gremlin slip sinkers better than other choices, but only because they were low profile and not elongated bullets. I just can't pull the trigger on tungsten yet. Besides, I didn't see a whole lot of tungsten on the rack to begin with.

Once I bought the slip sinkers, I thought about whether or not I wanted to peg them or let them slide. I ended up grabbing a pack of Peg-It rubber pegs. I've never been a big fan of pegging weights, but I have become increasingly frustrated with how a free sliding sinker behaves. We'll see how the Peg-It strips work out.

Then I expanded on my finesse rigging options some more by browsing hooks. I don't know how long I spent staring at different brands. I was looking for a good circle hook for regular rigging, nose-hooking, and drop shotting. VMC has a Propak series of circle hooks. They give us nine hooks in one pack for a relatively decent price. The 3/0 hooks just didn't look right, so I went up to 4/0.

I'm low on my V&M Baby V Chunk jig trailers, so imagine my surprise when I found NetBait's Tiny Paca Chunks on the rack at Academy. Back when I wanted small jig trailers, I looked everywhere for these things and never found any. Now that Academy carries them, the Baby V Chunk has some major competition. I really hope Academy doesn't drop these from their inventory.

I was getting worried that I might end up buying more if I spent any more time in the aisles. On my way out, I skimmed the clearance section. I found some Big Bite Baits Biobait Trick Sticks in green pumpkin/pearl. The pearl half of the bait gives off the same kind of shad appearance, so I bought two packs. Then I went to the checkout.

V&M Baby V Chunks aren't completely off my radar. I still love them. I just can't buy them everywhere, so I hit a shop and bought a pack. I think I'm well prepared for any finesse jig battles out there on the water when the time comes.

1 comments:

Basspastor said...

Bait Monkey, Baby!!!