I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

• Off The Pier 6-13-2010

Haven't fished much lately and I couldn't resist taking advantage of the opportunity to wet a line this morning. Started casting around 6:15am. Quit around 9am. Caught three on a black Trophy Series Scumfrog. The sun lit up the horizon for a short while. Then clouds rolled in, blocking it all out. No idea what the water temps were. The lake should be up after all the recent rain, but levels have either remained steady or dropped a few inches over the past week or so.

On one of my first casts, I had something dart after the frog, but it missed. A few casts later, I had something hit. I dragged it about 10 feet or so as it flopped and thrashed under the duckweed. Seconds later, it came off, but I could tell it was a bowfin. That bite was enough to convince me to stay out of the duckweed for a while. I went on to fishing open water, pads, and trees.

Didn't get much action for a while. Around 7:15, I noticed a swirl way off to the left of the pier. The cast was a little cumbersome, seeing as how the swirl was almost out of range and I had to avoid hanging my line in a high tree limb, but the frog landed about three or four feet from where I saw the swirl. After the lure hit the water, I let it sit for a moment, pulled it back towards me, and engaged the reel. I started swimming it with a subtle bobbing action. Suddenly, it felt like I had dragged the frog underneath a lily pad, but I wasn't quite sure, so I set the hook. Yep. Fish on. It jumped a few times and took me into some pads, but I was able to pull it free from the stems with ease. I just kept the pressure on. About 30 feet from the pier, the bass surfaced again, but hydrilla had partially covered its head. For some reason, getting covered in weeds calms bass down. Don't ask me why. This allowed me to drag it the rest of the way in without any trouble. Same thing happened when I hooked that 6lber last year (in almost the exact same spot, mind you). Whenever their front end gets covered up, they stop jumping and they stop fighting. All I have to worry about is the line breaking from the extra weight tagging along for the ride. Hydrilla can get awfully heavy.

Didn't bring my scale down with me. Felt like a solid 2 to 2.5lber. One down.

Spent the next 45 minutes trying my luck elsewhere, but couldn't draw anything out of hiding. Then I put the frog along a tree line and had something hit. I missed, but I found out later that it was a gar. Like the bowfin situation earlier, I decided to avoid that particular spot for a while. Fished other spots and encountered the same problem. Gar weren't everywhere, but there were enough to get on my nerves.

As I was about to walk off the pier, I made a brief cast into the shallow duckweed behind me to clean some gunk off the frog. As I was reeling in, a small bass hammered the frog. Scared me to death. Couldn't have been in more than six or seven inches of water. Yeah, it was a little guy.

Walked along the bank and fished the other spot I have easy access to. Saw at least two gar over there swimming really shallow. I made sure the latter half of every cast was spent quickly reeling in. I had no intentions of hooking a gar this morning. Nope. When the frog got to a certain point, I'd reel it in quick and cast to a new spot.

The water along that bank was really shallow. It couldn't have been more than a couple of feet deep where I was casting to, if that. After making multiple casts, I had something hammer the frog again. This one was a jumper like the first and yes, it too went nose first into the weeds. The good thing about bank fishing is that one can walk backwards and drag a fish like that in. This one was a hair bigger than the first, so I'm putting it in the 3lb range.

I quit shortly after catching that fish because I noticed my line had some damage deep down from that last fight. I was in no mood to lose a lure this morning. Figured I'd had enough fun. Got my fix. Should hold me over for a while. I even have a mild case of bass thumb.

1 comments:

Coloradocasters said...

Nice work, Man! Just came across your blog and love the material. Keep fishing!