I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

• Off the pier 6-21-2010 - Good with the bad.

Started fishing off the pier this morning throwing a white Scumfrog instead of my usual black thinking I'd have a few more strikes in an already pressured area. Turns out I was right. Hooked into a few.

As you can see, the hydrilla is filling in nicely now.


You know, the thing about duckweed is that I can tell when a bass is coming.

First fish came off a cluster of matted weeds sitting along the pier. As I dragged the frog out of the weeds and into the duckweed, I saw a ripple come off about a foot behind the frog. I stopped my retrieve and let it hit. Close range strikes always worry me because I seem to break off, but it's also difficult to manage anything that wants to fight. Well, this fish was no different and wanted to fight it out, so after letting it zig zag along the pier, I hoisted it up and took a gander at it. It weighed 2lb 7oz.


I was off to a promising start.

Next fish didn't reveal itself for another 30 minutes, but it was worth it...sort of. Not 15 feet from where I caught the first fish, I had something dart under the duckweed from my side towards the frog as I brought it towards me. Again, I stopped, gave the frog a hop, and then it hit. The fish thrashed around much like the first, but I didn't know how big it was until I got a look at it from the side. The second I saw I had a decent fish on, I wasted no time lifting it out. Weighed 4lbs 8oz. Unfortunately, that fight stressed the fish a bit too much and as I floated it, I knew something was wrong. The bass had evidence of an already tough life with bloody marks on one fin and a chunk of tail missing. I started feeling bad, but I didn't have many options. I floated it there for a while until I thought it could manage while I ran to prep the livewell in the bass boat located far enough away to be a problem. When I returned with a bucket, the fish was gone. I assumed it had recovered enough to make it, so after going the full length of the pier looking for signs of a floating fish, I went back to casting, both thumbs noticeably shredded.

I hooked one more fish out in the duckweed that looked like it might have been in the 3lb range, but as I brought it along the pier, it came loose. This one didn't give me any indication it was about to strike. Then, about 20 minutes later, I discovered the 4lber upside down in some hydrilla, already stiff as a board. Wasn't much I could do. I did try to get it back in the water as fast as I could. I was holding my breath to keep track of the seconds ticking away. The bloody fin, slim body, and the missing chunk of tail made me wonder if the fish was sick to begin with. Sometimes we just lose fish, but it still doesn't leave me with a very good feeling.

So I'm in the market for a somewhat portable livewell system. This is the third instance where something like that would have been very useful dockside. I suspect the ideal way to go about it would be with a pump based system and a long hose because the water level usually starts to drop starting in June. I may try to build my own if I can't find anything that suits me. The main problem is going to be the power supply.

2 comments:

Coloradocasters said...

You are a fishing posting machine! I respect your determination greatly.

BassFishingDem said...

Only when my schedule allows it, but thanks for the comment.