I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

• Off the pier 8-12-2010

After reading some of the latest posts over at the Journal of a Minnesota Angler blog, I knew I had to fish at least a couple of hours this morning. The heat here has kept me from trying much. I figured the water temperatures in the skinny water might be a bit too much for bass right now, so I left them alone. With absolutely no fishing pressure back here right now, aside from myself of course, I thought maybe I'd catch a few this morning. Turns out I was wrong.

Spent about two hours casting to all of the usual places. Frustration combined with a nagging fireant bite from yesterday affected me enough two hours in to call it quits. I did catch one fish, but it bit early on. The rest of my time was spent making multiple casts to single spots, hoping to draw out a reaction bite if the first pass didn't draw something out. The way I see it, if they don't want it the first time, irritate the hell out of them until they do hit.

The first fish hit shallow and it hit hard. I wasn't ready for it, to be perfectly honest. I heard the hit, but for some reason, my mind was elsewhere, so I set the hook a little later than I usually do. As soon as I set the hook, the fight was on. I instantly knew what was on the other end. If you've ever hooked a bowfin before, they have a very distinct feel. The thrashing reminds me of how people describe latching on to an alligator's tail. It's a violent ordeal and when you have one on, they challenge your power more than your ability to play the fish. They play you. My best advice is to land them quickly before they snap off.

This one maybe only went 2lbs, but again, it was definitely a surprise. I also had a gar take a swipe at it, but they always miss this frog. Didn't have any other blow ups, but a turtle did try to eat it once.

The hydrilla has come back in full force and lily pads are in full bloom. It's next to impossible to fish anything other than topwater right now off the pier. The lake is still dropping. Cross Lake is the reservoir, after all, so everyone has probably been watering lawns and playing in the spray of a hose to stay cool. I'd say since my last outing, it has dropped three or four inches. Actually, that's not too shabby for this time of year. I think all of the rain we received in July helped keep everything under control. From here on out, I think the lake will continue to drop. Fall fishing is already on my mind. I know hunting is on the minds of lots of people, so I'm happy to know I'll be sharing the water with fewer people in the near future. I'm definitely aching to get out in the boat. It's been too long.

7 comments:

MNAngler said...

Thanx for the mention, Bassdem.

Your experience was not unlike most of my July. I couldn't get anything to bite to save my life. Thankfully, I broke that trend recently.

I'm heading out for a few intense days of fishing in a few weeks. I can't wait. Hope your luck improves your next trip out.

BassFishingDem said...

I hope my luck improves too. My only concern is that the shallow water is getting really skinny right now. Might be driving the fish to other areas, especially when combined with the triple digit heat. I may take a break from fishing for a while and work on some other posts and reviews.

Marriem said...

great catch dear love your blog

Ronnie said...

I am new to fishing Cross Lake and have been looking for info on when and how to fish for what. My main interest now is crappie but I did watch my fishing partner land 3 bass yesterday. Do you provide information on crappie fishing?

BassFishingDem said...

@Ronnie

All you had to do was search the blog for the word "crappie" and a few posts would come up. I try to label every post with the type of fish caught that day. You can browse the posts to see if they give you any additional insight.

The fact is, I primarily fish for bass. If I catch a crappie, it's simply a matter of luck.

http://bassfishingdem.blogspot.com/search/label/crappie

My post on local LA crappie fishing

Ronnie said...

Thanks for the info on crappie fishing on Cross. Today was my first to fish for crappie. Caught one small bass, one gar about 36 inches long, and 2 crappie (one weighed 2 pounds). I am off to a good start.

Ronnie

BassFishingDem said...

Definitely a good start, Ronnie. Keep at it. Good to know they are biting. I'll have to keep that in mind.