I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Friday, November 19, 2010

• Top Brass Peg-It Keepers

When Texas rigging my soft plastics, I prefer to keep a bullet sinker at the nose, not only for the sake of presentation, but also to improve casting distance with a few choice lures. There is one problem with threading a weight on any time you fish like this. It will slide up and down your line unless you secure it in place. We call it pegging.

Read the blog post To peg or not to peg by Rich Lindgren for additional insight on pegging weights.

Over the years, anglers have come up with all kinds of tricks to keep a bullet sinker positioned in one spot, whether up against the nose of a worm, nice and snug, or a few inches up the line. Solutions have ranged from using toothpicks, bobber stops, screw lock weights, and pegging systems specifically marketed for this purpose. While there are a few pegging-specific options out there, I decided to try the easiest to find option in my area, the Top Brass Peg It pegging system. Academy carries them.

Just to make it interesting, I decided to buy the 100 pack, but you can buy them in packs of 15. The pegs are nothing more than tapered strips of rubber with a flat nail head at one end. A small notch along the edge of the nail head allows room for your line to squeeze by while still being snug enough to sit up against the bottom of the weight and out of the way. The good thing is, unlike toothpicks, these rubber stoppers don’t damage your line. The bad thing is, they don’t always stay in place and once you use one, it’s almost impossible to reuse. I can still fish all day without a problem, but I do make sure to check the positioning periodically throughout the day.

To use these keepers, thread a weight onto your line. Then run the pointed end of the rubber keeper into the hole at the bottom of the weight, pull through at the top end, and snugly position it so that the line runs through the notch, leaving the nail head pulled right up against the base. Slide the weight to the desired position and snip off the excess keeper at the top.

Another problem worth mentioning is, the diameter is not universal. Not every weight will fit. Some bullet sinkers have holes that are too narrow. Some are too large. If the Peg It keepers do not fit the brand of your preferred weight, you can switch to one of the aforementioned alternatives or try another brand of weight. Top Brass specifically recommends Tru Tungsten products in the Peg It description.

The one other problem I do have with the Peg It solution is, should one slide out and be lost, rubber is not as environmentally friendly as something biodegradable. I’m certain someone could design a more eco-friendly product that would work just the same and the sales pitch would work too. It’s just a thought.

http://www.topbrasstackle.com (Under Construction)
Peg It @ Tacklewarehouse

3 comments:

MDTolic said...

Hey BD,

I don't peg a whole lot, but I have rubber and wood scattered about in several of my boxes. I can't say that I have ever broken off due to damage caused by a toothpick though. Have you?

blake said...

I never did peg my plastics, I just always thought that I would use a jighead if I didn't want the weight to slide. Hmmm, makes me think....

BassFishingDem said...

@MDTolic

I don't think I've ever broken off either, but I have seen plenty of abrasion marks, some more noticeable than I am comfortable with. Looked the same as when I've wrapped line around a limb and was able to pull free.

The good thing about these pegs is that I can change the location of the weight much faster. Doesn't take much pressure to get it to slide, but it'll stay there once positioned.

@Blake

I like to peg because I get better feedback than when the weight is going back and forth on the line during a retrieve. I agree with you, though. Using a jighead is another good option. I remember buying some Jobee Pro hooks for this same reason.