I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

• Cross Lake Report 12-2-2010

The weather today was just too nice. I could not resist. I had a couple of hours free, so I loaded the boat around 2pm and fished until 4:30 when the setting sun made air temps drop. Never did check water temps, but it was fairly clear with only a light stain on the main lake. Winds weren't quite as bad today, kicking up around 5-6mph, maybe gusting to 10 at most.

Fished shallow for a while, hitting specific spots where the current created ambush points, but couldn't find anything. I was throwing the Biobait Trick Stick again, hoping to have a repeat of my last outing. The wind wasn't driving them shallow today, so I went further out and swapped rigs.

Started fishing dead pad stems, one of my favorite things to do from now until early spring. Usually, I grab a 1/2oz spinnerbait and have at it. Today, I opted for a 1/2oz Orange Craw Strike King Red Eye Shad. Positioned my small boat so I could cast into the wind, either directly into it or at an angle. The retrieve I used was similar to how I first learned to fish the bait through a Kevin Van Dam YouTube video. After the lure hit the water, I would start cranking, smoothly pulling back with the rod at my side, and then letting off, taking up the slack as I went, but keeping the line tight. I went with a 7:1 Pflueger Patriarch to avoid hanging up in the stems. Any time you throw a lure with a pair of treble hooks into a sea of pad stems, you're going to get hung up. Better to snag something higher up where you can pull free than four to six feet down where you could very well lose the lure.

The excitement began around 3:30 with my first fish of the day, a 3lb 12oz fatty hooked on the outside of its lip with one hook point. Once I got the fish in the boat with the help of a net, I realized just how glad I was that Strike King put really sharp hooks on these lures. I know the fish doesn't look it in the photo, but take a gander at the gut. That's how it became a 3lb fish.


Next fish was a 2lb 2oz bass and it too was awkwardly hooked, but snagged in the corner of its mouth, so there was no way it could shake loose.


Third fish weighed a 1lb 6oz. Tossed it back without even blinking.


Fourth fish went 3lb 4oz, but it felt bigger. It took me for a ride. Once I got it in the boat, I thought it might have been the same 3lb fish I caught earlier.


Fifth and final fish was a hog. Took me for a ride in much the same fashion as the fourth fish, but when I saw its mouth as it thrashed at the surface 20 feet or so from the boat, I changed my mood. It dove again after surfacing and I knew right away I was going to have to let this fish have a little room, but I was not going to let it have too much room. Worked it to my right and manhandled it with the Patriarch. Reached down and moved the net closer while the fish was tugging away. Once it got close enough, I wasted no time swinging the net out and scooping 'er up. Went 5lb 5oz.


Nice way to end my afternoon.

And here's the lure that made all of this possible.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

That last one is a PIG! Nice job. Interesting mark on that little one. Battle scar?

The Average Joe Flyfisherman
http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

BassFishingDem said...

I noticed the scar when I was removing the treble hook. Looked like something hit from the front and pushed its way back. With all the activity, it wouldn't surprise me if they were nipping at each other. I used to catch little ones like that in between the islands on the west end of the lake with much larger scars on them.

I could have also foul hooked it on the hookset and during the fight, it ripped free. I hate that it could be a possibility, but that happens with treble hooks.

blake said...

Great looking fish gotta love the red lipless cranks... I also like spros version alot until it bangs a rock and the eye falls out!