I‘m a liberal leaning outdoorsman attempting to open the minds of right wingers to the idea that libs fish too. Anglers come from all walks of life, left, right, and center. Not everyone who fishes for bass is a redneck fond of Nascar, country music, and religiosity. Expect posts about largemouth bass fishing, techniques, reviews of lures and other products, but not any condemnable conservative rants. I hope to inspire the online angler community to dial down rhetoric which will do more harm than good to our sport.

Getting Around:

If you are looking for something in particular, use the Labels below, the Blog Archive, or the search box at the top to find what you need. When using the search box, simple search terms will get the best results. One word is often better than three. Searching for "Pflueger" will give you more results than "Pflueger baitcasting reel." Use these three features to your advantage.

Labels are relevant tags or keywords. Click on a label to view other related posts organized by date. For example, clicking on the label spinnerbaits will take you to all the other posts with the tag spinnerbaits and the label largemouth bass denotes any fishing report where I caught a bass. Labels are listed below, first by frequency and then in alphabetical order. Labels are also tagged below each individual post. When viewing by Label, 20 results are listed per page. Click "Older Posts" to see more posts with that Label. In addition, some entries may also have a list of related posts at the bottom you might also find useful.

Anyone can comment, so go ahead and post. I'd like to hear what you think. There is a "Post a Comment" link below every single entry. Comments are still moderated for approval. Anything inappropriate will be rejected. This also helps cut down on spam.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advanced Search:
Upcoming Blog Posts
Spro Bronzeye Jr.
NetBait Tiny Paca Chunks

Blog Status Updates
For New Visitors

Twitter
Google+
Facebook
Fan Page
YouTube
GetReeled
Skype Me™!Skype

Best Viewed:
1024x768 or higher
IE7 or later
Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ratings not supported by Opera


Popular Posts (by visits)
Shimano Curado E5
Review: Plano 7771 Tackle Box
H2O Xpress Baitcaster
Zoom Brush Hog
Shimano Callisto Review
Pflueger Patriarch WLP71: First Impressions
Pflueger Summit WLP Review
Rapala Original Floating Minnow
Double Ztoo Rig (Donkey Rig)

Subscribe
Follow via Google FriendConnect
Subscribe via email
Enter your email address:



Top Fishing Websites at TopFishingSites.Com


Get Free Shots from Snap.com
When you see this icon, next to a link, hover your mouse over the link or the icon to see a visual preview of the spot I fished using Google Maps or a preview of the web page that the link goes to.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

• Cross Lake Report 2-12-2011

Nicer weather has entered the picture and seeing as how I've been itching to fish ever since sticking that 5lb fish in December, getting out on the water today was inevitable.

I hit the water around 1pm and futzed around in the shallows for a while, swimming a jig through lily pads that have survived what winter has thrown at us . After striking out there, I moved further out into deeper water and stopped at that wonderful field of dead pad stems, now concealed from view by rising water. Not three or four casts in, I hooked up with the first fish by slow rolling the swim jig along the bottom, bumping into any pad stem along the way.

I could tell it was a nice one and after watching this fish do the side to side mouth agape dance bass fishermen know and love, I grabbed the net. It took me a couple of passes before I finally scooped the fish up, but once landed, I let out a sigh of relief and a somewhat subdued yet triumphant roar. Weighed it. Scale said 4lbs 3oz. Tossed 'er back and went on fishing some more.


About ten minutes later, I had a second fish bite. This bass had just as much fight, but because the resistance was so similar, I immediately suspected I had just hooked the same fish a second time. I was wrong. Netted that one and weighed it at 3lbs 13oz. Different fish. That worked for me.


I spent the next couple of hours fishing that jig through the pad stems without another bite. I sped things up with a Red Eye Shad, but didn't have any takers. I slowed things down with a Berkley Power Worm and might have had two hits, but never connected. I tried cranking elsewhere and called it quits just after sunset. When that sun went down, the chill in the air was beyond noticeable.

Air temps probably reached into the low 60's and water temps started out at 42 and climbed to 47 at the end of my outing. The water out there was heavily stained, but had yet to acquire that chocolate milk thickness. I also saw my first pelican of the year. I've been waiting for their return to our area lakes. I only saw the one, but I expect them to flock together. If you're a bird watcher, it's time for you to get out on the lake.

Looking ahead to the coming week, I'd say the bite can only improve. Air temps are forecast to reach into the 70's. This might drive quite a few quality fish up. Of course, the water has to warm up. It could very well remain steady for a few more weeks regardless of how warm it gets around here. Maybe I will be able to weasel my way into another outing soon.

0 comments: